We are a HIGH Five Accredited organization! HIGH FIVE’s quality standards ensure your child’s experience with sport and recreation are safe, unique and age appropriate.
All BGC South East staff and volunteers are trained in HIGH FIVE’S Principles of Healthy Child Development.
- We have safety and emergency procedures.
- We provide Program equipment and materials that are suitable for your child’s age and ability.
- We encourage participation and input from parents and families.
- We provide what is needed to make sure your child feels safe, welcome, special and leave the Program smiling!
HIGH FIVE’S 5 Principles of Healthy Child Development
- Participation: Fair opportunities for everyone.
- Play: Just having fun!
- Mastery: Learning new skills and being successful.
- Friends: Opportunities to make and build friendships.
- Caring Adult: An instructor, coach or leader who shows warmth and genuine interest in all children.
- Are led by a HIGH FIVE trained leader.
- Provide challenges that are suitable for your child’s age and skill level.
- Allow all children to take part, regardless of their abilities.
- Focus on personal best rather than winning.
- Keep children active without too much standing around or waiting.
- Give children choices about what they can do.
- Are trained in HIGH FIVE’S Principles of Healthy Child Development.
- Show all children respect, honesty and trust.
- Use direct eye contact and smile.
- Speak in a calm and friendly tone of voice.
- Praise children when they try and when they succeed.
The Club uses HIGH FIVE tools to identify, assess, control risks and improve program quality. The QUEST 2 Program assessment tool measures the experience of the child by looking at interactions and Program factors which influence development. It has five sections, including:
Leader to Child Interactions | Child to Child Interactions | Leader to Leader Interactions | Supervision & Safety | Program Characteristics & Support
For more information on HIGH FIVE, please visit: https://www.highfive.org/
Intro to HIGH FIVE
HIGH FIVE Science and the value of objective assessments
Our childcare and early learning programs follow Ministry of Ontario Licensed regulations set out under the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014 (CCEYA). BGC is committed to maintaining standards of care, which meet or exceed legislative requirements that aligns with the Ministry of Education’s framework that supports pedagogy and program development.